Many of you made the resolution this year to lose weight. You can spend hours running your tushy off, but the real results come from eating fewer calories. You can eliminate cheese and carbs from your life, but what’s the fun in that?! Many of us would probably starve to death if we did that! I’m a picky eater, by that I mean I basically only eat “junk” food – chicken fingers, grilled cheese, pizza, lasagna, french fries, macaroni and cheese… yup cheese and fried foods – Calorific. But, I’ve developed ways to enjoy my favorite foods, but with less guilt.
Here’s tips for preparing healthier junk food:
- Prepare it with cooking spray instead of butter
- Use “light” bread – Weight Watchers makes bread that is just 45 calories a slice
- Opt for whole wheat bread over white bread
- Use just 1 slice of cheese, 1 and a half if you must
- Use reduced fat cheese – buy fat free or 2% cheese
- Prepare your own with chicken breasts
- Dip your chicken in egg whites then whole wheat breading
- Season the whole wheat breading to make it more savory – i.e. basil, oregano, garlic powder
- Bake the chicken fingers instead of frying them – 350 degrees should do the trick – they actually back very quickly. Before you pop them in the oven though spray them with cooking spray or oil so they’re not ridiculously dry.
- Start with fresh potatoes, cut them into thin strips
- Spray a cookie tray with Pam and place potatoes in a single layer
- Spray the potatoes with Pam, season with salt and pepper and pop them in the oven at 450 degrees
- Turn over fries occasionally
- Wear your patient pants – these take a while to crisp up but they taste just like the real fried deal… actually better
- Instead of dough, use a 100 calorie pita, bagel thin, or wrap [my preference is the wrap]
- Use fat free mozzarella and limit yourself to 1/4 Cup – it might look skimpy but the cheese will melt down and should cover most of the surface
- Go light on the sauce
- This pizza will end up costing you less calories than a Lean Cuisine!!!